Bharela Kanda Batata Nu Shaak/ Stuffed Onion Potato Curry is a delicious curry made by cooking the stuffed small onions and baby potato with masala made using peanut, coriander and spices. The bharela kanada batata nu shaak is made as an accompaniment with khichdi and also can be enjoyed with bhakri. It is a vegan recipe.
Bharela Kanda batata nu shaak is made frequently in the Gujarati household. It is served alongwith masala khichdi and khadhi and is a fixed Sunday menu for most Gujaratis.
Pick very small size onion and baby potatoes to make the recipe. If you do not find baby potato you can cut the big potato into 4 parts and use. Here in Sydney we get small French onions or spanish pickle onion. I have used Small French onion for the recipe.
The small onion are very tender and have sweet taste. So always use the small onion for the recipe.
My mother in law (Geeta Shah) and father in law (Chetan Shah) have come from India to visit us. Our mind and soul are relaxed and we feel secure when we have elders at home. Aarav (my son) enjoys their company. And most important we all get to eat the delicious traditional recipes cooked by my mother in law.
Khichdi is mostly made in most Gujarati household on Sundays. It is considered one of the healthy meal by WHO. Khichdi is accompanied with Gujarati kadhi or chaas, pickle, papad, kanda batata nu shaak or ringan batata nu shaak or bharela kanda batata nu shaak.
My mother in law spotted these small onions when we went for the grocery shopping. She wanted to make this bharela kanda batata nu shaak for us with khichdi. I learnt from her this recipe and so thought of sharing with you all. It is very easy to cook recipe and very delicious in taste.
So friends I enjoyed this traditional recipe to the fullest. Hope you all make it and enjoy with your loved ones.
Please share your feed back with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Bharela Kanda Batata Nu Shaak/ Stuffed Onion Potato Curry
- pressure cooker
For the curry
- 12 small onion I have used the small pickle onion or French onion. I have peeled them and made criss cross slit in the to stuff the masala
- 5 baby potato peeled , halved and made slit to stuff the masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per the spice level needed
- salt as per taste
- 1/2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped for garnishing
- In a small bowl add red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, asafoetida (hing), garam masala, coriander and salt.
- Add peanut powder and oil .
- Mix well with hands till everything is well combined.
For the curry
- Peel the onion and potato. Halve the potato. Make criss cross slit in the onion make slit in the halved potato as shown to fill the masala.
- Now carefully put little prepared masala with your fingers and fill the onions and potatoes as shown.
- Heat oil in the small pressure cooker pan. Add asafoetida and turmeric to it. Now place the stuffed onion and potato one by one.
- The onion and potato are placed in the pressure cooker.
- Top with the remaining masala and salt as shown.
- Gently mix the potato and onions to avoid breaking them.
- Add half cup of water and pressure cook them for 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure cooker cook by itself. Open the lid and the curry is ready to serve.
- Remove the bharela kanda batata nu shaak /stuffed onion potato curry in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with bhakri or khichdi.