Ringan Batata Nu Shaak is a curry made with eggplant/aubergine/brinjal and potato. It is flavored with groundnut/peanut powder, desiccated coconut, and spices such as red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala and turmeric powder. The added sugar gives sweetness to the dish and balances the flavor of eggplant. It is a regular dish prepared in Gujarati household and served with roti, bhakri, thepla, puri, rice and dal, khichdi and kadhi.
Always use fresh brinjal or eggplant for the recipe.
I have shared with you the pressure cooker method but you can also cook directly in the pan. Cover the pan with a lid after adding brinjal and potato and cook on medium heat, stirring in between till brinjal and potato are cooked. After that add the prepared masala with groundnut and coconut. Add little water if required and adjust the consistency of the curry. Cook till the masala is absorbed for 4-5 minutes.
Cook for 2 whistles on high heat and 1 on low heat when made in a pressure cooker. My husband likes the brinjal to be soft and mushy. So I have cooked for 4-5 whistles.
You can cook the dish without adding peanuts and coconut. The other ingredients remain the same.
Ringan Batata Nu Shaak/Brinjal Potato Curry
- 1 Big brinjal Big washed and cut into cubes
- 1 Big potato washed, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/4 cup water
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp groundnut powder
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per taste
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp coariander washed and chopped finely
- 2 tsp dried curry leaves or 10 curry leaves chopped
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Add the chopped brinjals(eggplant/aubergine) and potato.
- Mix and add salt as per taste.
- Mix well. Add water and cover the lid with a whistle and pressure cook for 2 whistles on high and one whistle on low heat.
- In the meantime prepare the masala. In a plate or bowl add groundnut powder, desiccated coconut, sesame seeds, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala, sugar, and a little salt.
- Add chopped coriander and curry leaves. (i have used dried curry leaves).
- Mix well.
- Open the lid after the pressure cooker has cooled down.
- Add the prepared masala and mix gently. (My husband likes the brinjal to be mushy and hence I have pressure cooked more than the time specified).
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes till the masala is absorbed. The ringan batata nu shaak is ready.
- Serve ringan batata nu shaak hot with roti, dhebra, paratha, rotla, puri, thepla, rice and dal, masala khichdi and kadhi.