Chhole Tikki /Chickpea Patties are made from chickpea, potato, breadcrumbs. It is flavored with spices and shallow fried in a pan. It is crisp from outside and soft from inside. The tikki/patty can be served to your guests as an appetizer with mint yogurt dip, mint chutney, ketchup. It can be used in making Indian chaats such as tikki chat, ragda pattice. You can sandwich it between bread and salad.
The tikki/patty can be frozen for up to two months. This way you have them handy whenever you have a sudden guest for dinner. The patty can be used for making burgers. I will be sharing with you the process of making a burger with chickpea patty in my next recipe.
You can also simply eat this patty with a dish of salad for a healthy lunch. It is very healthy for kids and they will love it!
Chhole Tikki /Chickpea Patties
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions to it.
- Cook till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste to it. Saute.
- Cook until onion softens.
- In a big mixing, plate add boiled potato and bread crumbs. (grind bread in the grinder for breadcrumbs).
- Grind the boiled chickpea and onion mixture in the grind to a smooth paste.
- Mash the boiled potato, add chickpea onion paste, chopped coriander, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
- Mix them well.
- Divide into 12 parts. Grease palms with oil and make balls and flatten the ball to make patty.
- Smoothen the edges of the patty by rubbing them on the board.
- Heat a non stick pan. Add oil to it and shallow fry the patty.
- Cook on both the sides till golden and crisp.
- The chhole tikki or chickpea patty are ready.
- Serve them warm with coriander chutney or mint chutney, yogurt and mint dip or ketchup. You can also use the chhole tikki to make chat or burgers.