Edible Chocolate Diya is a very irresistible, eyecatching and creative sweet that can be made quickly with milk powder and cocoa powder and shaped into diyas. It can be shaped into the desired shape of your choice and can be enjoyed during any occasion.
Edible Chocolate Diya
- non stick pan
- measuring cup
- plate x 2
- bowl x 2
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- ghee for greasing
- 8 almonds
- 1/8 tsp saffron food colour or any yellow food colour
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat ghee in a non stick pan on low heat.
- Add milk to it and mix well.
- Add milk powder to the milk.
- Mix well on low heat.
- Now add sugar.
- Sugar will melt and mixture will become liquidy.
- Stir till the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove a tbsp of mixture in a bowl.
- Add cocoa powder to the remaining mixture.
- Add extra 1 tbsp of milk to the mixture (As we had some mixture earlier so addition of extra milk will help retaining the moisture).
- Now put heat to medium and stir the mixture continuously. The mixture will come together and leave the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Press with the spatula to smoothen any lumps.
- Remove the mixture in a plate and let it come to lukewarm.
- In the meantime, take almonds in a bowl and add water to it. Microwave for a minute. (If you do not have microwave then add boiling water to the almonds, cover and let it sit for 30 minutes).
- Remove bowl from microwave and let it cool. Peel the almonds.
- Now take the peeled almonds in a bowl. Add pinch of saffron colour to it and mix well.
- Add some water and again microwave for a minute and then let it sit for 15 minutes. (If you do not have microwave then put the almonds along with colour and water in a pot. Boil it for 5 minutes . cover and let it sit for 15 minutes).
- After 15 minutes, drain the water from the almonds with the help of strainer.
- Now thinly sliced the almonds . The almonds have got nice bright yellow colour and resembles like flame. (You can use different colour to make different coloured slices of almonds).
- Now grease your palm with ghee and take a small pea size ball from the white thickened mixture removed ahead. Roll it into a very thin log. Keep in a plate and similarly make with the remaining mixture.
- To shape diya- take a small ping pong ball sized chocolate mixture in your palm. Roll it to smooth.
- Press the ball and make a small dent as shown.
- Now shape into a circle by pressing the edges as shown.
- Pinch one side of the edge to make v shape of a diya.
- Place it in a greased plate. Put the bati (white log) in it . The diyas will be soft but will hold shape after some time.
- Similarly make with remaining mixture ( I had made a big batch of diya to gift to my friends).
- Place the bati in each of the diya and place a sliced almonds facing pointed side upwards to resemble the flame. Let it dry for 1-2 hours.
- The edible chocolate diya are ready to serve or refrigerate them for a week in an airtight container.
- Impress your guests with this creative diyas for this Diwali.