Eggless Persimmon Soft Cookies are moist and spiced cookies made using fresh persimmon pulp. They are perfect fall cookie. The cookies are spiced using chai masala and saffron. Chia seeds gel is used as an egg replacer. Oats and chickpea flour are added besides all purpose flour to make cookie healthier. The cookies can be enjoyed with a cup of warm milk or tea or coffee. If refrigerated just warm a little before serving them.
My friend Shruti who is in US shared with me the recipe of these lovely cookies. She introduced me to this fall fruit “persimmon” which is naturally sweet. It tastes best when ripe and does not have any seeds in it. It tastes more like apricot. She made the cookies in fall time in US and then I had to wait for another six months here in Australia for the fall to come and I could get persimmon.
I had modified the recipe and added rolled oats and chick pea flour to the recipe along with all purpose flour. I had also used chia seeds gel as an egg replacer. I had shared the steps to make chia seeds gel in the recipe below. I had freshly made chai masala from a friend (Priya Budhbhatti) from Sydney and had used it to flavor the cookie.
The cookie can be flavored with cardamom or cinnamon or mixed spice as per your taste. I had added crushed walnuts since my son does not like pieces of walnuts coming in his cookie. You can chop the nuts of your choice and use them.
I had shared earlier the recipe of soft cookie made using cream cheese.
So friends do try this lovely recipe and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Persimmon Soft Cookies
- mixture grinder
- mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- baking paper
- 3 persimmon
- 1.25 cup oats I had used rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour maida
- 1/4 cup chick pea flour besan
- 3/4 cup ghee clarified butter
- 3/4 cup walnut chopped or crushed. I had powdered them
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1 tsp chai masala or any flavor like cardamom or nutmeg or cinnamon or mixed spice
- 1 tsp saffron strands kesar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar I had used raw sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- Chia gel – Since we are making eggless cookie we will use egg replacer equivalent to one egg. I am using chia gel. For that soak 1 tbsp of chia seeds in 3 tbsp of water for one hour. The chia seeds will become soft and sticky once they have absorbed the water.
- Wash and wipe persimmon.
- Cut persimmon.
- Chop persimmon into small pieces.
- Put the chopped persimmon in the mixture jar and puree it.
- Add soaked chia seeds along with water into the puree.
- Blend them together till smooth.
- Add sugar.
- Add ghee and blend them together till fluffy.
- The wet ingredients are ready. Keep aside . (Be careful due to chia seed gel, the pulp will thicken and become jelly like consistency. Blend it again before using).
- In a big mixing bowl take oats, maida, besan, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chai masala and saffron strands.
- Mix them all well.
- Add the prepared wet ingredients.
- Mix them all gently with spoon. Add sultanas . I had forgot to add besan earlier with the dry ingredients and hence added in this step.
- Add crushed walnuts. (you can also chop walnuts or any nuts of your choice).
- Now with a help of spoon drop equal size batter keeping some distance on the baking paper lined in a baking tray.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 180C for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the cookies and let them cool. The cookies are ready to serve. They are soft and has muffin consistency. They can be served plain or topped with chocolate ganache or powdered sugar. The cookies can stay for couple of days at room temperature or can be refrigerated for 8-10 days.
- Enjoy the eggless persimmon soft cookies with a cup of tea or coffee..