Kodha Nu Shaak/Bhopda Chi Bhaji/Kaddu Ki Subji/Pumpkin Curry is a very delicious and mouthwatering dish made from pumpkin along with peanut, poppy seeds and spices. It is made sweet and tangy with jaggery and tamarind and is enjoyed best with rice flour roti, or regular roti or rice.
My mom (Rekha Ramolia) visited me at Sydney. She stayed with us for three months. We had an amazing time together. My son (Aarav) was so happy and enjoyed her company to the fullest. She would always come to drop and pick up at the school. She would accompany him for this cricket or AFL training and match. She would tell him different stories and would play with him. And when mothers are visiting they will always try to make different delicacies and feed us. I used to enter kitchen less when mom was there as she would always make food for us and it was a feeling of heaven to feast on ready food cooked by her.
She prepared this amazing pumpkin curry for us. It was irresistible. She is Maharastrian and so prepared the pumpkin in a Maharastrian way. The curry was rich with the flavor of peanuts and poppy seeds. I thought of sharing the recipe on the blog. “Maa ke haatho main jadoo hain”. The curry goes well with “chawal ki roti” / Akii/Rice roti. It can be also enjoyed with chapati or rice. The curry is good to be carried in the lunch box.
I will share the recipe of “apple shake” and “herbal green tea” that she used to make often. My son used to enjoy the “palak paneer cooked in desi style” by her. He has AFL training every Wednesday. So when I used to take him to the training she used to make palak paneer for him and keep it ready with jeera ajwain paratha and jeera rice. He used to lick his fingers and enjoy to the fullest. From then palak paneer is as Wednesday’s special menu at my house.
Love you and miss you mummy!!
Friends do try this recipe and share it with your family and friends..
Kodha Nu Shaak/Bhopda Chi Bhaji/Kaddu Ki Subji/Pumpkin Curry
- 500 g Pumpkin peeled, washed, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp peanut crushed or whole
- 1 tsp poppy seeds khus khus
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds til
- 1 onion
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 garlic clove
- 4 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seed methi dana
- 1/4 tsp hing asafoetida
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp 1 tbsp tamarind soaked in 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- salt as per taste
- In an mixer grinder, add peanut, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, poppy seeds
- Add chopped onions.
- Grind them all together into a paste.
- Soak tamarind in hot water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and fenugreek seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add pumpkin cut into cubes.
- Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and 1/4th cup of water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
- The pumpkin will be soften. If not cook for 5 more minutes. Add the ground paste. Add 1/4 cup of water.
- Add spices - red chili powder, coriander cumin seed powder, garam masala.
- Mash the soaked tamarind with hands. Sieve the tamarind pulp. Add it to the curry. Mix well.
- Mix well and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add jaggery and mix well till it melts.
- Simmer the curry until the jaggery melts.
- The pumpkin curry is ready to serve.
- Remove in bowl. Garnish with curry leaves and serve kodha nu shaak/ bhopda chi bhaaji/pumpkin curry with chawal ki roti (rice roti) or plain rice or chapati.
9 thoughts on “Kodha Nu Shaak/Bhopda Chi Bhaji/Kaddu Ki Subji/Pumpkin Curry”
It is easy to make and delicious recipe
Thank you so much
Quick and delicious recipe..
Thank you so much
Thank you so much
Thanks for the great recipe. I did this with butternut squash and didn’t add garlic. Turned out very good.
Thank you so much!!