Paneer In Mushroom Curry is a dish where paneer and other vegetables are cooked in mushroom sauce along with Indian spices. The gravy is rich and creamy and has a nice flavor of mushroom. The curry goes well with roti, tandoori roti, naan, paratha or jeera rice.
My son loves Pasta in mushroom sauce and hence I make it quite often. This time I had a good quantity of white mushrooms in my fridge, Hence I have made mushroom sauce. I have used some of it to make pasta for my son’s lunch box. With the left out sauce, I wanted to make a dish by using Indian spices. The best way was to make a curry. Paneer and mushroom are good combination for making a curry. We often eat paneer and mushroom in a tomato onion based gravy in restaurants. So I thought of making paneer curry but this time using the mushroom sauce. The combination of mushroom sauce cooked with Indian spices turned out super yummy and delicious. Kasurimethi enhanced the flavor of the curry.
I have shared the video recipe of making mushroom sauce. Click below for detail recipe and video.
I have tossed the chopped veggies – onions, red and green capsicum, mushroom, sweet corn, baby corn in oil and ghee.(Here you can add the vegetables of your choice. I have some sweet corn, baby corn and yellow capsicum from the left over used for making pizza the previous night). Then have added all the spices and a generous amount of kasuri methi. The taste of kasuri methi blends well in the curry and gives it a restaurant style taste. To this I have added the mushroom sauce, cashew nut powder and water and then have simmered the gravy. Cashew nut helped in giving a good binding and rich creamy taste to the gravy. The house was full of aroma released from mushroom sauce, kasuri methi and garam masala.
I made this curry when my college friend -Sandip Chandak had come along with his mother to visit Sydney. They had stayed at our place. Sandip is also a foodie, So making food and serving him was a great pleasure. Not only he and his mom but my husband (Mithil), my son (Aarvav) and my mom (Rekha Ramolia) enjoyed the curry to the fullest. I had made garlic naan and parath paratha to serve with the paneer in mushroom curry. My experiment was a success at my place and my friend and my husband insisted on putting this recipe on the blog.
So friends I hope you all enjoy making this recipe for your family and friends!!
Happy innovative cooking!!
Paneer In Mushroom Curry
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 green chili
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 onion slices (each leaf removed and sliced)
- 1/2 green capsicum chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum chopped. I had some yellow bell pepper left and so I have used it.
- 500 g paneer cut into cube
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables I have used sweet corn and baby corn
- 1 cup mushroom sauce
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1 tsp kitchen king masala
- 1/2 cup kasuri methi
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cashew nut powder
- 5 mushroom sliced
- salt as per taste
- coriander washed and chopped for garnishing
- 1/2 cup water or as needed to adjust the consistency of the gravy
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. (I forgot to add ghee and so have added later in the next step). Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add chopped garlic, green chili (you can also use crush chili to make it spicy), ginger paste.
- Saute all on medium heat.
- Add onions and red and green bell pepper, baby corn, sweet corn ( I have made pizza the earlier night and hence I had few of yellow bell pepper, sweet corn, baby corn used for the pizza toppings left and hence have used them too).
- Saute till everything softens. Add spices - coriander cumin powder, garam masala, red chili powder and kitchen king masala).
- Mix well and saute for a minute. Add kasuri methi. (You can also use fresh methi leaves if you have).
- Add chopped paneer.
- Mix well and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add the mushroom sauce and water and mix well.
- Add chopped mushroom. Mix well and cook till mushroom soften.
- Add cashew nut powder, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Simmer the curry on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. The oil will float on top. The paneer in mushroom curry is ready to serve.
- Remove paneer in mushroom curry in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander and serve with tandoori naan, roti or paratha.