Moong Toor Dal Ni Vaghareli Khichdi is a popular and easy and quick to make Gujarati food. This gluten free recipe is a complete , healthy and nutritious one pot meal and and be made and enjoyed for a quick lunch and dinner. It is a most wanted comfort food after being away from home for a long travel.
Friends do try the khichdi and do share your reviews with me.
khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Moong Toor Dal Ni Vaghareli Khichdi
- pressure cooker
- 1/2 cup rice any short grain rice, I had used jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup moong dal yellow moong dal, without skin
- 1/4 cup toor dal arhal dal, split pigeon pea, tuvar dal
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 2 bay leaf
- 6 whole black pepper mari
- 4 cloves lavang
- 3 cardamom pod elaichi
- 1 cinnamon stick 1/2 inch
- 1 dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp peanut optional
- 1 potato chopped, optional
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder or more if more spice level needed. I had used kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 2.5 cup approximately, add more or less as per the consistency of khichdi needed
- salt as per taste
- Take moong dal, toor dal, rice in a bowl. Mix well. Wash 2-3 times with water and then add some water and soak for a minimum of 1 hour. ( Use short grain rice. I had used the jasmine rice as it gives a lovely aroma and sticky texture to the khichdi).
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker pan. Add whole spices – bay leaf, cloves, whole black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, dry red chili.
- Once the oil and ghee is heated up add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. As soon as they crackle add asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute.
- Add the chopped onions and chopped garlic. (You can also add chopped ginger if you want). Add salt and saute till onions are translucent on medium heat.
- Add peanuts. (It is optional. I like the crunch in the khichdi and hence love add peanuts ).
- Add the chopped potato. (This is optional and also can be swapped with other veggies such as eggplant, carrot, peas, tuvar dana as per your choice).
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder , coriander cumin powder.
- Saute everything well till masala nicely roasted and aromatic on medium heat.
- Drain the soaked dal and rice. Keep the water aside. Add the drained rice and dal in the pressure cooker pan.
- Saute well on medium heat.
- Add water. (I had approximately added 2.5 cups of water including the water remained after draining the dal and rice. You can add more or less depending on the consistency of khichdi you want. For mushy khichdi add more water and for less mushy khichdi add less water).
- Add salt and mix well . Cook till one boil comes on medium heat stirring in between. Now cover the lid of pressure cooker and put the whistle on. Cook for 4 whistles on high heat and 2 on low heat.
- Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Remove the whistle and open the lid. The moong toor dal ni vaghareli khichdi is ready to serve.
- Serve the hot moong toor dal ni vaghareli khichdi with plain yogurt, onion, papad and pickle. Enjoy!!