Paneer Bhurji is a very easy and quick recipe made from paneer. This was the first recipe I learned to make from paneer. It is similar in taste and texture to “Egg Bhurji”. It is often served as breakfast with roti, paratha, bread or bun in North India. At my place, I mostly make it for quick dinner with palak paratha or plain paratha. It is a good side dish along with other dishes when you have guests at home.
For making paneer bhurji you need crumbled or grated paneer. Try to use fresh paneer if possible. I have shared with you the recipe for making homemade paneer. You can also use one bought from store. After adding the grated paneer to the dish do not cook it long otherwise the paneer will be dry and chewy. It is always best to add paneer to the dish just before serving. This will ensure that the paneer remains juicy and soft.
Paneer Bhurji can also be used as a stuffing to be filled in parathas or dosa or sandwiches.
I have added garlic to the recipe. I like the flavor of the bhurji with garlic. However, it is optional and can be avoided. Also adding amchur, chat masala and kasuri methi is optional. I like their taste and they enhance the flavor of bhurji.
Paneer Bhurji/Spicy Crumbled Cottage Cheese
- 250 g paneer grated
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small capsicum finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste adding garlic is optional
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp hing asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder dry mango powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp chat masala optional
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi crushed between palms (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seed. Let it roast and crackle. Add green chilies, ginger garlic paste and asafoetida.
- Add onions and capsicum. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till they are softened for 5-7 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomato. Mix well and cook till tomato softens.
- Add spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, garam masala, amchur powder, chat masala.
- Mix well and saute for 4-5 minutes till the spices release aroma.
- Add the crumbled paneer and salt.
- Mix well and cook for a minute. Add chopped coriander and kasuri methi crushed bwtween palms.
- Mix well. Do not cook more after adding paneer as it will make paneer chewy. The paneer bhurji is ready.
- Serve paneer bhurji hot with chapati, parathas, bread or pav.