Satay Tofu And Mushroom is a protein rich, vegan, glutenfree , delicious appetizer made by grilling the tofu and mushroom marinated with homemade satay sauce. It is served with some extra satay sauce and salad.
I had grilled the satay tofu and mushroom on the open barbeque. I have placed aluminium foil on the barbeque grill and then have cooked. Howevxeer if you do not have a barbeque then you can cook the satay tofu and mushroom on pan or grill them in the oven.
The grilled satay tofu and mushroom tastes best when served with the satay sauce. You can make extra satay sauce for serving or I collect the sauce in a bowl after the tofu and mushroom are put on the skewer after marination.
Always use a firm or extra firm tofu for grilling or pan frying. It will not break while cooking. Everybody enjoyed all the vegetarian dishes to the fullest. I have already shared the recipe of Hariyali paneer tikka. I will share the recipe for tandoori gobi aloo soon.
So friends do try this protein rich and flavorful recipe and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Satay Tofu And Mushroom
- wooden skewer
- barbeque or oven
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk I have used the canned coconut milk
- 1 lemon grass stalk, chopped (I have used the dehyrdated lemon grass)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp lemon rind grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or juice of half lemon
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil on a heavy bottom pan.
- Add chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till the onions and garlic are soft.
- Add peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, red chili powder, lemon grass stalk, lemon rind, and salt.
- Mix them well and saute for a minute.
- Now add coconut milk .
- Mix well.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- The oil will float on top.
- Turn off the heat, remove the lemon grass and add the lemon juice. Mix well. The satay sauce is ready.
- Cool and remove in an airtight container. The satay sauce can be refrigerated for 3-4 days pr can be freezed for a month.
Tofu and Mushroom on skewer
- Take the tofu and pat dry it on the kitchen towel or absorbent paper.
- Cut the tofu lengthwise and cut the mushrooms into halves.
- Take satay sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Add tofu into it.
- Add chopped mushroom into it .
- Now coat the tofu and mushroom well with the satay sauce very gently. Let it marinade for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the marinated tofu and mushrooms alternatively on the wooden skewers. (I have soaked the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes so they become wet and do not burn while grilling on barbeque or oven). Remove the extra sauce left after arranging the tofu and mushroom on a skewer in a bowl for serving.
- Arrange the skewers on the baking tray lined with aluminium foil or butter paper and grill them in the preheated oven at 200 C for 10-15 minutes or keep them on the open barbeque and grill them for around 15 minutes or till done.
- The grilled satay tofu and mushroom in ready. Remove in a plate.
- Arrange the satay tofu and mushroom skewer on a serving plate. Put the leftover satay sauce over it and serve with salad and onion.