Masoor Dal is a very important part of vegetarian diet in Indian Cuisine.
Masoor Dal contains high level of protein. It also contains fibre, folate, vitamin B1 and minerals.It helps to lower the cholesterol and helps in managing blood sugar. It is a good source of calcium, potassium and iron.It is rich in antioxidants.
Masoor dal is cooked generally in the form of curry. It can be served with rice or roti. It can also be combined with various vegetables. It can be cooked with rice in the form of khichdi or pulav. Lentil soup is a famous recipe in international cuisine.
The dal needs very little time to cook. It is very soft and cooks quickly.
I generally try to use this dal in various ways such as dal fry, mixed pulses dosa or khichdi.
Today I will share the recipe of the curry which my mother makes and I am really fond of. She uses sambhar masala in addition to other spices and that really enhances the taste of the dal. We generally eat it with bhakri, bajri roti or parathas. Fresh sliced onions and dry garlic chutney are great accompaniment with it. You can enjoy it also with a dollop of homemade butter or simple salted butter. You won’t stop licking your fingers!
I still remember that one of my friends told me that it has the “dhaba” taste to it .
So have fun making this nutrition packed dal!!.
Whole Masoor Dal (Whole Red Lentil Curry)
- 1 cup masoor Whole masoor dal (soaked for two hours)
- 2 small onions chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp sambhar masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- salt as per taste
- water for cooking
- Heat oil and ghee in the pressure cooker.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they crackle add asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw flavor of the ginger and garlic goes away.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Now add all the spices and salt and mix them well and saute them for a minute.
- Drain the soak dal and add to the pan. Roast it for a minute.
- Add two cups of water, stir the mixture and pressure cook for four whistle fast heat and one whistle on slow heat.
- The dal is ready. Garnish with coriander and serve.
- Serve it with the roti of your choice.