Perfect Sunday meal- Chilkawali or chhotrawali moong dal masala khichdi, kadhi, salad, papad….At my home we also call it as jalaram masala khichdi.. the one popular at khichdi joints in Bardoli ( place near Surat, Gujarat) …also since I am from kathiyawad, I am brought up eating this khichdi…
Chilkawali Moong Dal Masala Khichdi is a comfort, wholesome meal , quick and easy to make food balanced with rice (carbs), chilka wali or green moong dal (protiein and fibre), veggies (minerals, vitamins and fibre ). Adding peanuts gives a good taste and crunch to the khichdi. It is very nutritious , gluten free meal and is a complete one meal and one pot meal. It can be enjoyed with a dollop of ghee by itself or can be served with gujarati kadhi or yogurt or chaas, salad, onion, papad and pickle.
Please do try this delicious khichdi and please share your feedback with me..
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Chilkawali Moong Dal Masala Khichdi
- pressure cooker
- 1/2 cup split moong bean with skin, chilkawali moong dal
- 1/2 cup basmati rice or any long grained rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pod
- 10 whole black pepper mari
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 onion sliced, It tastes better when cut thinly sliced instead finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup eggplant cut into small pieces
- 1 small potato cut into small pieces. you can leave the peel on too. Just wash the potato very nicely.
- 1/4 cup fresh pigeon peas tuvar dana lilva
- 1/4 cup fresh lima beans surti papdi lilva
- 1 tbsp peanut
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp red chili powder I had used kashmiri chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala optional
- 4.5 cup water
- salt to taste
- Wash the chilkawali moong dal and rice with water for 2-3 times and and then soak for an hour.
- The dal and rice are soaked well. Drain and reserve the water.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker pan.
- Add bay leaf, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, cloves, whole black pepper. Saute for 1/2 minute.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and when they crackle add dry red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add sliced onion and some salt and saute till the onion softens. (I love the taste of khichdi when the onions are sliced).
- Once the onions are soften add ginger garlic paste. Saute for half minute.
- Add chopped brinjal / eggplant and potato.
- Add peanuts, tuvar lilva, surti papdi lilva ( I had both the lilva so had added both. you can add any one as per your choice). I get these lilva frozen from Indian store. Mix well.
- Add spices – turmeric oowder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, garam masala. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked and drained rice and dal and saute for a minute.
- Now add water. Use the reserved water too. The total water should be around 4 to 4.5 cups for this consistency of khichdi. If you prefer more mushy than add more water and some extra spices.
- Add salt and let the water come to one boil. Cook on high heat.
- Now cover the cooker with the lid with whistle on it and pressure cook for 4 whistles on high heat and 1 on low heat. Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Open the lid. The khichdi is cooked and ready to serve.
- Serve the khichdi hot.
- The khichdi can be enjoyed as a complete one pot meal by itself of can be served with gujarati kadhi or chaas of yogurt and salad, papad. You can also put some ghee over the khichdi while eating and enjoy the rich taste.