Guar Ma Dhokli / Spiced Wheat Sheets In Cluster Beans is a popular dish made in Gujarat by cooking cluster beans with spiced flat wheat flour sheets. It has curry / soup like consistency and can be served as a one meal dish for lunch or dinner. Some people also prefer to eat it along with roti or thepla or rice. It is vegan.
Dhoklis (flour dumplings ) is a very popular dish in Gujarati Cuisine. It can be made with lentils and is known as dal dhokli. It can also be made with some vegetables such as french beans, Lima beans, Guar, fresh pigeon peas. It is then served with roti or rice. Some people prefer to eat it as a whole meal dish.
I had already shared with your recipe of making dhokli with french beans and toovar dana and dal dhokli
Dhokli is a very comforting food and is relished by us all in our house. My son use to call it pasta when he was young. When you have some left different beans or dal you can make a new dish from it in the form of dhokli. You can add peanuts, fresh spinach of methi leaves in the dhokli for variation.
I had used bhakri flour or coarse wheat flour to make the dhokli. The dhokli remains firm when we use bhakri flour and do not break. You can however make the dhokli with the regular wheat flour but keep in mind not to overcook it.
The flour is to be kneaded to a semi stiff consistency to make dhokli.
Apply oil over the rolled dhokli to prevent them from sticking.
Always put the dhokli in batches in the boiling water so that they do not stick with each other and cook well.
So friends do make this irresistible guar ma dhokli for your loved ones and share your valuable feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Guar Ma Dhokli / Spiced Wheat Sheets In Cluster Beans
- big bowl
- small bowl
- pressure cooker
- rolling pin
- rolling board
- 3/4 cup bhakri flour thick wheat flour, (ghau no jado lot)
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour the regular wheat flour used to make chapati
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup yogurt I have used homemade yogurt
- 1/2 cup water for kneading dough
- 2 tsp oil to smooth the dough and to apply on the pressed dhokli
- salt as per taste
- 200 g cluster bean guar sing, washed and cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp oil I have used peanut oil
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin seed powder dhana-jeera powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 cup water
- In a big mixing bowl, add bhakri flour (ghau no jado lot), wheat flour, oil, asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chili powder, carom seeds, salt. ( My father in law is allergic to carom seeds and hence I have not added it in the dough and had used cumin seed powder. But addition of carom seeds imparts a nice flavor to the dhoki and also aids digestion).
- Mix well all the ingredients with your finger tips. Add yogurt.
- Mix well and start kneading into a semi stiff dough by addition water gradually.
- The dough is mixed well and kneaded.
- Now add a tsp of oil and smooth the dough by kneading it well.
- Rest and keep aside for 20 minutes. White spots can be seen on the dough after 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four portions and roll thin log as shown from each portion.
- Cut into very tiny pieces out of each rolled log.
- Press the tiny pieces between palms and press and flatten. This is called luva.
- Put the pressed luva on a rolling board and roll to a size of coin. (Traditionally, the ladies of the house use to sit and press the luva with their fingers and make small coin size dhokli. Since it was pressed with fingers it was known as daabeli dhokli and was time consuming). Now a days due to lack of time always, It is easy to roll the dhokli with a help or rolling pin as shown.
- The pressed dhokli are ready. Put some oil on them to avoid sticking and cover and keep them aside.
- Wash and chop the guar sing. (I have used frozen guar and had thawed it).
- Heat oil in a big pressure cooker pan. Add carom seeds, asafoetida, ginger garlic paste. (I have used mustard seeds and cumin seeds as my father in law is allergic to carom seeds).
- Saute the ginger garlic paste till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add the chopped guar sing (cluster beans) and mix.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder, red chili powder.
- Saute the spices well.
- Add water, salt and bring it to boil. (In the meantime, press the dhokli from the dough).
- Once the water starts to boil, add the pressed dhokli one by one. ( The dhokli should be put in the boiling water to prevent from sticking).
- Put dhokli in batches of 20-25 so that they get enough time to cook and there is enough space. This way put all the dhokli one by one. Add lemon juice and sugar and mix well.
- Put the pressure cooker lid on with the whistle and pressure cook the dhokli for 4-5 whistles.
- Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Remove the whistle and open the lid. The guar ma dhokli is ready to serve. Mix it gently and serve.
- Remove the piping hot guar ma dhokli / spiced wheat sheets in cluster beans in the serving bowl and serve hot.