Quick Vegetable Rice Pulao is a very healthy, mildly spiced, simple, quick and easy to cook dish cooked in pressure cooker. It is a one pot dish and can be cooked quickly for a quick lunch or dinner. It can be enjoyed with yogurt, Gujarati kadhi, papad and salad. The pulao can be packed for lunch boxes or can be carried for a potluck party or picnic.
Quick Vegetable Rice Pulao
- pressure cooker
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 peppercorn
- 2 clove
- 2 elaichi cardamom pod
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili cruhed (I have not added as my son prefers non spicy pulao)
- 1 carrot finely chop
- 1 potato finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chop
- 1 cup basmati rice washed and soaked for half hour.
- 2 cup water
- salt as per taste
- Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker pan.
- Add whole spices – whole peppercorn, cardamom pod, cloves, cinnamon stick, dry red chili, bay leaf.
- Add cumin seed and when it crackles add asafoetida.
- Add chopped onion and saute till translucent and soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and crushed green chili . Saute for a minute.
- Add carrot , capsicum and potato and mix well.
- Drain the washed and soaked rice. Keep the water aside. Add the drained rice to the vegetable mixture. Saute for a minute.
- Add the kept aside water and remaining water. The total water should be around 2 cups. Add salt as per taste. Cover the pressure cooker with lid. Put the whistle on it and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Open the lid. The quick vegetable rice pulao is ready.
- Grease a bowl with ghee or oil . Put the cooked pulao in it . Press it gently and unmould in the serving plate. Serve hot quick vegetable rice pulao with yogurt or gujarati kadhi, papad and salad for a complete meal.