Spinach Feta Gozleme is a veg variant of Gozleme (stuffed Turkish flatbread) where a thin sheet of unleavened dough made of flour, salt and water is rolled and filled with toppings made of spinach, and feta cheese. This is then cooked on a griddle with oil or butter and served. It is a popular Turkish street food and served in breakfast. The comfort nature of food and the process of making it has made it popular world wide. Different types of both savory and sweet gozleme are sold at the Turkish restaurants or cafe. The pastry made of the dough remains the same while the toppings can be varied – minced meat, chicken, seafood, potato, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, mushroom and the sweet type can be made with chocolate, nutella, strawberry, banana. The preparation of gozleme is quiet similar to that or our Indian stuff parathas. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. It is a one meal dish and can be packed for lunch boxes.
Spinach Feta Gozleme
- rolling pin
- cutting board
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour maida
- 3 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder optional
- 1/4 cup yogurt I have used the homemade curd or yogurt
- water as needed to knead to smooth dough ( I have used approximately 1/4 cup + 4 tsp)
- flour for dusting and rolling
- 7 tsp oil for roasting gozleme
- 3 cup spinach wash and finely chopped .(I have used baby spinach).
- 200 g Feta cheese You can use paneer or cottage cheese if you do not have feta cheese (add lemon juice and salt to mashed paneer). Feta cheese has a lot of salt and hence no additional salt is added to the filling
- 100 g cheese I have used mixed of mozarrella, cheddar and parmesan. You can either mozarella or cheddar.
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder Or use fresh finely chopped garlic around 1 tbsp
- 2 tsp onion powder or use 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh onion
- 1 tsp chili flakes optional
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, baking powder, 2 tsp of oil, and yogurt.
- Mix well.
- Add water gradually little by little and start to knead a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough well for 7-8 minutes. It will be become smooth and elastic. (the edges of the vessel will be cleaned and there will be no flour stuck) If you press the dough with the fingers the it will come back.
- Apply remaining oil and smooth the dough further.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes or more if you have time.
- Dough is set well after 30 min.
- Take feta cheese in a bowl. Crumble it.
- Add the other cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper powder, chili flakes and parsley flakes. Mix well everything.
- Now take the chopped spinach and the feta cheese mixture.
- Knead the dough once more and then divide the dough into equal portions. (I have got 7 balls from it).
- Take one ball on the rolling surface and dust it with flour.
- With the help of a rolling pin, roll into a thin and big circle.
- Place around a little less than half cup of chopped spinach on the rolled circle. Place about 4 tbsp of the feta cheese mixture on it. Spread it nicely. Leave around 2 cm from edges.
- Fold the two ends of the circle inwards as shown.
- Fold the other two ends like an envelope and make a square as shown.
- Roll the prepared square with the rolling pin lightly so that the edges are nicely sealed. The gozleme is ready to be grilled or roasted on the pan.
- Heat a pan. Apply oil on it.
- Put the prepared gozleme on it. Put the heat on medium.
- Flip the gozleme after a minute. Apply 1/2 tsp of oil.
- Flip and roast the gozleme till golden spots appear. Apply 1/2 tsp of oil on the other sides.
- Flip and roast the gozleme till golden on both the sides.
- The spinach feta gozleme is ready to serve. Remove in a plate.
- Cut into pieces as shown with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Serve the spinach feta gozleme hot.
1 thought on “Spinach Feta Gozleme”