Tandoori Aloo / Spiced Grilled Potatoes is a grilled dish made by marinating boiled baby potatoes in the marination made using yogurt, chickpea flour, ginger garlic paste and spices. The marinated potatoes are then grilled or baked in the preheated oven, or coal barbecue or pan and served hot with onion slices and mint coriander chutney. It is all time favorite appetizer with all age group. It is gluten free.
Tandoori Aloo is a favorite appetizer in my house and is made frequently.
I love the marination for tandoori aloo. It is so simple and made with the ingredients easily available at home. I have used roasted chickpea flour to give thickness to the marination and have used the regular home made yogurt or curd. Chickpea flour is thus helpful to get the thickness to the marination. The flavor of the potato is enhanced with carom seeds. Carom seeds not only enhances taste but helps the potato and chickpea flour to get digested in our body. You can use same marination for cauliflower, baby corn, mushroom, or paneer to make the respective tikkas.
I have not made the marination spicy. But you can add more chili powder for making the marination spicy. Use kashmiri red chili powder. It gives nice red colour to the marination.
If you do not have baby potato, you can use the whole potato and cut them into four quarters and use. Always put salt while boiling the potatoes otherwise the potatoes will taste bland. Do not overcook the potatoes. They should be cooked but firm and not soft. I have pressure cooked them for 2 whistles with salt.
Friends do make this delicious tandoori aloo for your family and friends and enjoy!!
Tandoori Aloo / Spiced Grilled Potatoes
- 12 baby potato Boiled and skin removed
- 1 tsp red chili powder kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 2 tsp chat masala
- 2 tsp amchur powder dry mango powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp yogurt curd
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour besan, roasted
- 2 tsp tandoori masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- In a mixing bowl, add red chili powder, turmeric powder, carom seeds, chat masala, amchur powder, garam masala, coriander cumin powder, chickpea flour, tandoori masala. ( I forgot to add amchur powder in this step and have added it in the next step).
- Add ginger garlic paste, kasuri methi, oil, lemon juice, yogurt and salt.
- Mix the mixture well. The marination is ready.
- Add the boiled baby potato. (I have not click the pick of the boiled baby potato. I have pressure cook the potato for 2 whistles with salt. Be careful the potato should not get soft, they should be firm and yet cooked. Remove the skin and prick the potato with fork). Coat the potatoes well with the marination. Cover and keep them aside for hour.
- Take wooden skewers (place them in cold water for 20 minutes before using for oven) and arrange the marinated potatoes. (if you do not want to use skewers you can place the marinated potatoes directly on the baking tray lined with baking paper for grilling). Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place the skewers on the baking dish lined with baking paper. Brush it with oil. Cook them for 15 minutes or till brown from the edges. Turn them once after 7 minutes. The spiced grilled potatoes or tandoori aloo is ready to serve. Sprinkle some chat masala and tandoori masala on the potato and serve them with sliced onions. (I have used less chili powder as we eat less spicy food. If you want more spicy potato add more chili powder and the colour of the marination will also be red).