Thai Red Curry With Jasmine Rice is a popular dish of Thai cuisine made by simmering fresh vegetables and tofu in coconut milk with a fiery Thai red curry paste. It is served with steamed jasmine rice or noodles for a complete meal. It is Vegan and Glutenfree.
The beauty of Thai food is that it uses a lot of fresh vegetables and can be made quickly. It is flavored with fresh ingredients such as red chili, soy sauce, lemon grass stalk, ginger, garlic and kaffir lime leaves. Chop the veggies and keep them ready to stir.
For Thai red curry, you need to make a Thai red curry paste. This paste is readily available in the supermarkets. But I prefer it to make the paste at home as it is very easy to make and all the ingredients are readily available. Also it will be preservative free. The paste can be made in big batch and can be refrigerated for a month or can be freezed upto 3 months. Use the paste to make Thai red curry, Thai fried rice or noodles. For nice bright red curry, I prefer using dry kashmiri chili. The Thai red curry is hot. However the spice level can be adjusted as per your need. At my home we prefer eating less spicy food and hence I have added only 3 red chili. However you can add upto 10 chili to make the paste. The flavor of the curry is enhanced with lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves. I have used dry lemon grass stalks which I got from my father’s farm. You can use the fresh lemon grass stalk. I have used fresh kaffir lime leaves which I got from my friend’s (Ros) garden. However you can use the dehydrated kaffir lime leaves that are available in supermarket. Generally galangal (similar to ginger) is used widely in Thai cuisine. However, if you do not have it you can just use the normal ginger.
I keep the Thai red curry paste and chopped vegetables ready. I will make curry 30 minutes prior before serving as Thai food tastes best when served straight from the pot. While the curry is simmering, you can cook the Jasmine rice to serve along with it. I have also shared the method of preparing Jasmine Rice.
To make Thai red curry here is summary of steps:
1. Make Thai red curry paste
2. Saute the chopped vegetables
3. Saute the Thai red curry paste, add coconut milk and vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes to make Thai red curry.
Jasmine rice s a long-grain variety of fragrant rice. It is grown particularly in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. It is quick to cook and is little sticky after cooking. If you do not have Jasmine rice, do not worry , you can use the regular rice or basmati rice. You need not soak the rice for a long time before cooking. Wash and soak for about 5 minutes and then drain the water. It is good to use a broad pan to make rice. For one cup of rice use 1.5 cups of water. If you use more water the rice will become more soft and mushy. First add drained rice and water in a pan. Let the water come to boil. Once the water comes to boil, lower the heat and cover the vessel with lid and simmer the rice for 15 minutes or till all the water is absorbed. After 15 minutes the rice is ready.
Friends I hope you enjoyed the video of making Thai red curry and Jasmine rice. Please do try this recipe and share your feedback with me. Also do like and share the video and please subscribe my channel.
See you soon with another interesting recipe. Till then Khao dilse, Khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Thai Red Curry With Jasmine Rice
Thai Red Curry Paste
- 3 Dry Red Chili Use Kashmiri red chili for nice red colour. You can add upto 10 red chili as per the spice level needed. Soak the red chili in warm water for 20 minutes and drained.
- 1/4 cup coriander stalks fresh coriander stalks
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds or coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dry lemon grass stalk or 2 fresh lemon grass stalks
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp water needed to grind paste
Saute vegetables and tofu
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup bell pepper red and green chopped (red and green capsicum)
- 5 mushroom sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced into rounds
- 5 baby corns sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets removed
- 7 snow peas (optional) or you can add french beans
- 150 g tofu plain cut into cubes
Thai red curry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup thai red curry paste the prepared curry paste.
- 400 ml coconut milk I have used canned coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour or you can use refined flour
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cup water
- salt as per taste
- 1 cup jasmine rice Washed and soaked for 5 minutes and drained
- 1.5 cup water
Thai Red Curry Paste
- In the mixture grinder add all the ingredients - soaked and drained red chili, coriander stalks, onions, garlic, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, lemon grass stalks, grated ginger, salt and pepper.
- Add little water and grind into a smooth paste.
- Remove the paste in bowl. This red curry paste can be refrigerated for a month or freezed upto three months. (You can make more and store). The same paste can be used to make thai fried rice, noodles or other curry.
Saute Vegetables and tofu
- In a pot heat a tbsp of oil.
- Add all the chopped vegetables one by one. Mix well.
- Add Tofu. Mix well.
- Toss the vegetables and tofu on high heat for a minute till they have nicely coated with oil.
- Remove the tossed vegetables in a plate and keep aside.
Thai Red Curry
- Heat oil in the same pot.
- Add the prepared red curry paste and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and mix well (Use hand whisk to remove lumps of coconut milk).
- Add 2-3 cups of water. (I have added water in the mixture jar in which the red curry paste was made and coconut milk can to remove all the leftover from them). Mix well.
- Add kafir limes and soy sauce.
- Add salt as per taste.
- To thicken the curry, take one tbsp of cornflour in a bowl add 2-3 tbsp of water to make a smooth paste. (I had used refined flour as I did not had cornflour).
- Add more water to make it smooth and add gradually the cornflour mixture to the curry stirring continuously.
- Add the tossed vegetables to the curry.
- Mix well.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Boil the mixture for 8-10 minutes till the vegetables as soften and curry is thickened.
- The curry is nicely thickened and is ready to serve. Remove in a serving bowl.
- Take Jasmine rice
- Soak it in water for 5 minutes and drain.
- In a broad pan add the soaked and drained jasmine rice. Add 1.5 cups of water to it.
- Mix well and let the water come to boil.
- Mix well once the water starts to boil
- Lower the heat. cover and simmer the rice for 10-15 minutes till the water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Switch off the heat. The rice is cooked.
- Jasmine rice is ready to serve.
- Remove rice in a bowl. Press it well.
- Flip the bowl on the serving plate and unmold the rice.
- Put thai red curry in the serving plate and garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
- Enjoy piping hot thai red curry with jasmine rice.
5 thoughts on “Thai Red Curry With Jasmine Rice”
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Gonna try it in the evening!
Thank you so much and please do share your valuable feedback with me.