Vegetarian Pad Thai is a vegetarian version of the popular Thai street food. The vegetables are stir fried with tofu and flat rice noodles and are flavored with a sweet , savory and tangy pad thai sauce. Crushed peanuts are sprinkle to give dish a crunch and fresh coriander and lime wedges gives a fresh flavor to the dish. The dish is very easy and quick to make and is gluten free, vegan and a complete balanced one meal dish.
You can add vegetables of your choice . You can add spring onions, bean sprout, pok choy as per the availability.
You can replace tamarind pulp with lemon or lime juice.
Other recipes of Thai cuisine on blog:
Friends so try the recipe and share your feed back with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse,aur banao dilse…
Vegetarian Pad Thai
- heavy bottom wok or pan
- broad heavy bottom pan
- non stick pan
Pad Thai Sauce
- 1/2 cup tamarind pulp I had used homemade tamarind pulp. Soak 1/4 cup tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water for 10 minutes or till it soften. Mash it with hands and then strain with a strainer to get a smooth pulp. I got aroung 1/2 cup of pulp. You can make more and freeze in small containers and use when needed.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar if you do not have brown sugar then use palm sugar or regular raw sugar or honey or
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chili sauce or as per the spice level needed
Stir Frying Pad Thai
- 2 tbsp peanut oil or any flavorless oil but peanut oil gives a nice flavor to the dish
- 2 tsp oil to pan fry tofu
- 2 garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion petals
- 1/2 green capsicum cut into cubes
- 1/2 red capsicum cut into cubes
- 1 carrot sliced into round
- 1 cup broccoli florets, blanched
- 12 french beans cut into 2 inches and blanched
- 12 mushrooms sliced
- 500 g tofu or less cut into 1 x 1 inch cubes. We love more tofu and have used more
- 500 g flat rice noodles I had used 2 x 250 gm packet of flat rice noodles
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts roughly crushed into mortar pestle to sprinkle while serving
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves washed and chopped and some stems for garnishing
- lemon wedges to garnish
- water needed to cook the noodles
Pad Thai Sauce
- Take tamarind pulp in a bowl.
- Add soy sauce to it. Mix well. Add honey to it and mix well . Add brown sugar or raw sugar or palm sugar or honey to it. Mix well.
- Add red chili sauce to it and mix well.
- Add peanut butter and mix well.
- The pad thai sauce is ready to use. This quantity of sauce is sufficient to cook 500 g of noodles with vegetables and tofu. Refrigerate for a week or make in big batch and freeze for three months. Thaw and use when needed.
Stir Frying Pad Thai
- In a heavy bottom broad flat pan boil water. Add the flat rice noodles and cook for 6 minutes in it.
- The noodles are cooked. Do not cook for more time or else they will be soggy and mushy.
- Immediately drain in a strainer and run cold water on it to prevent further cooking.
- Heat a non stick pan . Add some oil. Add cut tofu pieces on it.
- Cook flipping in between till golden on both sides on medium heat. I had cooked tofu in two batches. Remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. Add the chopped garlic. Saute on high heat.
- Add onion petals and stir fry on high heat for half minute. Add chopped carrots and capsicum and stir fry on high heat for half minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Mix and stir fry for couple of minutes.
- Add blanched broccoli and french beans. Mix well.
- Add pan fried tofu and mix well.
- Add half of the prepared pad thai sauce and cook the vegetables till the sauce coated well on all the veggies and tofu.
- Add the cooked flat rice noodles . Add the remaining sauce over it. Gently mix the noodles with sauce, vegetables and tofu.
- Add the coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve the pad thai sauce in a serving plate. Sprinkle some crushed peanuts on it and coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- This pic was taken earlier when I had cooked pad thai .