Vegetarian Pan Fried Dumplings / Vegan Gyoza / Potstickers is a traditional Chinese or Japanese dumpling made with the filling of different vegetables of your choice. To substitute the protein from meat you can add moong bean sprouts or tofu or soya nuggets. The sauteed vegetables are filled into a pastry sheet made from flour and are shaped by folding them into different patterns. The dumplings are covered and cooked in a pan with oil and water. They are cooked till the bottom of the dumplings get golden crisp. The vegetarian pan fried dumplings can be enjoyed as a appetizer or lunch or dinner with soy sesame dipping sauce and chili oil.
The pan fried dumplings are very crispy straight from the pan and hence serve them immediately.
I am also sharing with you all a small video of the different ways to fold the dumplings below:
Dumplings/ gyoza/potsticker can be cooked either by
- Steaming – Place the dumpling on a perforated plate lined with cabbage leaves or butter paper. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Boiling – Place the dumpling in the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Pan Frying – Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan / non stick pan. Place the dumplings in the pan. Add some water and cover and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Remove the lid and cook further for 3-4 minutes till all the water is evaporated and the bottom of the dumplings get golden and crisp. Serve immediately.
I have also shared with you the recipe of making the dumplings from scratch using whole wheat flour at home:
So friends do make this recipe at home and you will make it again and again.
Please do share your valuable feed back with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Vegetarian Pan Fried Dumplings / Vegan Gyoza / Potstickers
- Pan with lid
- small bowl
- damp kitchen towel
- 2 tbsp oil I have used peanut oil but use sesame oil if you have
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage shredded of finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 4 mushroom finely chopped (Take any mushroom of your choice)
- 1 cup soya chunk finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic chive washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spinach washed and finely chopped (You can also add bok choy, leek, spring onion, celery with it)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds roasted, to sprinkle
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds to sprinkle
- coriander to sprinkle
- garlic chive to sprinkle
- black dipping sauce to serve
- chili oil to serve
Make filling for the dumpling
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute till golden.
- Add chopped mushrooms, carrots, and cabbage. (you can also add celery, spring onion both white and green, bok choy, or any vegetable of your choice).
- Saute till the vegetables soften.
- Take the cooked soya chunks (Boil the dry soya chunk in hot water for 5 minutes, drained it and then remove excess water from it by squeezing them).
- Chop the soya chunks into small pieces. (you can also use soya granules in place of soya chunks to avoid process of chopping them).
- Add the chopped soya chunks into the soften vegetables. Mix well.
- Add the chopped spinach and coriander.
- Mix well. Season with salt , pepper , soy sauce. (you can add chili flakes or chili sauce to make spicy). Mix well.
- Add cornflour. (The cornflour will absorb excess moisture and hence prevent the dumplings to become soggy). Mix well.
- Saute for couple of minutes. The stuffing to be filled into the dumpling is ready. Keep aside to cool.
How to fold dumpling/gyoza/potsticker
- I have shared a video of 5 ways to fold dumplings/gyoza/potsticker. Kindly follow the same.
- Take the pasty sheet. Put around 1 tbsp of stuffing. Brush the edges of the sheet with water. (Also I have managed to click some pics of folding dumpling by pleat fold method when my friend (Kavita Mahidadia and her family came over for dinner). She helped me with folding the dumplings. I took some pics while she was neatly folding them. The stuffing is hence different . I have taken video of the same but due to less lighting , it did not come out clear and hence have not uploaded. )
- Fold the pastry sheet like semicircle as shown.
- Now start making pleats from end of the semi circles as shown.
- The pleat fold dumpling is ready. Similary prepare the remaining dumplings and cover them with a damp cloth.
pan frying dumpling
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan or a non stick pan.
- Place the prepared dumplings in it. (You can put the amount of dumpling as per the size of pan. Do not overcrowd them). Cook for a minute on medium heat.
- Add water in it and cover the pan with lid and cook dumplings for 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
- After 3-4 minutes, the dumplings are getting steamed and changing the colour.
- After 8 minutes the dumplings are cooked well.
- Remove the lid and cook till all the water gets evaporated and the dumplings get nicely golden and crisp from bottom.
- Cook for couple of minutes on medium heat. The dumplings are ready to serve.
- I have flipped the dumplings to show the golden colour.
- Remove the dumplings into a serving plate and sprinkle roasted white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, finely chopped garlic chives on it. Serve immediately with dipping sauce and chili oil. (Black dipping sauce – Take 4 tbsp of soya sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp chili flakes, 1 tbsp honey , 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds, 2 tsp vinegar and pinch of salt. Mix them well. Sauce is ready). I have used store brought chili oil. (To prepare the chili oil at home, heat 4 tbsp of oil to boiling point, let it cool a bit and then add chili flakes and paprika or red chili powder and salt. Mix well . Cover and keep aside fro 3-4 hours till all the flavors are nicely absorbed. The chili oil is ready to use).