Rava Nariyal Laddoo With Sugar Syrup / Semolina Coconut Balls are delicious traditional sweet made with roasted semolina and desiccated coconut cooked in sugar syrup and infused with flavors of cardamom and saffron. Roasted nuts give crunch to the laddoo. The laddoo are often made during Ganpati festival, Diwali or Holi and can be stored for 15-20 days in an airtight container.
Rava Nariyal Laddoo With Sugar Syrup / Semolina Coconut Balls
- heavy bottom pan
- slotted spoon
Roasting semolina, chickpea flour and coconut
- In bowl take semolina /sooji/rava and chick pea flour (besan). I have used coarse semolina. Use fine semolina if possible.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat.
- Once the ghee is melted and heated, add the chopped nuts and raisins .
- Saute the nuts and raisins till they are golden.
- With the help of a slotted spoon, remove the roasted nuts and raisins in a bowl.
- Add the semolina and chick pea flour to the same heated ghee. Mix well.
- Roast the semolina and chickpea flour for about 10 minutes on medium heat stirring continuously .
- The semolina and chickpea flour have changed colour and turned aromatic after 10 minutes.
- Add desiccated coconut to it .
- Roast for two more minutes on medium heat stirring continuously. (If you are using fresh coconut then roast it separately and add to the roasted semolina and chickpea flour. Fresh coconut takes longer time to roast).
- As my son does not prefer chopped nuts, I have added some powdered nuts to the mixture. (This step is optional).
- Remove the pan from the heat. Keep aside and stir for 2 -3 minutes to prevent the coconut getting browned from the heat of the pan. Add cardamom powder and saffron strands to the mixture. Mix well and keep aside. Let us prepare sugar syrup.
Preparing sugar syrup /chasni
- In a pot add sugar and water. Put it to heat on medium heat. Mix well. (I have used raw sugar and hence the mixture looks dark in colour).
- Let the mixture come to boil.
- Once the mixture comes to boil, boil it for 6-7 minutes on high heat.
- Add saffron and cardamom powder. After 6-7 minutes the mixture is boiled and started getting one string consistency.
- Put the syrup in between your finger tips and check it by pressing the fingers, It should form one thin string as shown. The sugar syrup with one string consistency is ready.
- Add the prepared sugar syrup to the roasted semolina, chickpea flour and coconut mixture.
- Add the roasted nuts. (I have divided the mixture into half and added nuts into half of the mixture as my son does not like chopped nuts in the laddoo). Mix well. Keep the mixture aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Now shape the mixture. You can grease your palms with ghee and take a portion of mixture and roll into a smooth ball between your palms to make laddoo. Or shape it into modak or any such moulds for different shapes. I had mini modak mould. I had greased the mould and pressed the mixture into it. The demould the mixture and we get a small mini modak as shown.
- I have prepared some modaks from the mixture. At first the laddoo or modak with be soft but keep aside for few hours and the laddoos / modak with firm and set.
- And shaped some to laddoos.
- I have offered Lord Ganesha laddoos shaped into modak. The laddoo can be stored into air tight container for 15-20 days.