Atta Gur Ka Halwa / Ghau Goad No Sheero / Wholewheat Flour Jaggery Sheera is a high fibre , quick and easy to make , delicious Gujarati dessert that can be made with minimum and easily available ingredients from home. It can be enjoyed as a high energy breakfast or as a sweet along with lunch or dinner. It has a soft and smooth texture and can be given to toddlers in small quantities.
My mom (Rekha Ramolia) made atta gur ka halwa / ghau goad no sheero frequently when we as a kid were growing up. I made this often for my son (Aarav) too. This is one of my father’s (Lavji Ramolia) favorite sheera. He would request my mom to make for him when he had cold. Eating the warm sheera relieved him from cold and would release his cough and congestion.
My aunt (Gauri Ramolia) would make this sheera everyday for breakfast for his son (Akash Ramolia). He would get upset if he did not get the sheera as he woke up in the morning.
The sheera does not use any processed sugar and uses jaggery which is a good forurai m of raw sugar. This sheera is also made in many temples as an offering to God.
You can add nuts of your choice in the sheera. You can also add powdered nuts for fussy kids. You can flavor the sheera with cardamom powder.
I have shared different recipes of sheera on the blog as mentioned below:
Try out this super quick and easy recipe for your loved ones and do share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Atta Gur Ka Halwa / Ghau Goad No Sheero / Wholewheat Flour Jaggery Sheera
- heavy bottom pan / kadhai/ wok
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour I have used the coarse whole wheat flour (the one that is used to make bhakari) However you can use regular wheat flour used to make chapati too.
- 3/4 cup ghee clarified butter
- 1.5 cup jaggery gur, goad, grated
- 3 cup water If using regular whole wheat flour then use 2 cups of water.
- 1 tbsp almonds chopped, for garnishing
- 1 tbsp cashew nut chopped, for garnishing
- 1 tbsp pistachio chopped, for garnishing
- First add jaggery and water in a pot and put it on heat to melt. Stir in between.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat.
- Once ghee is melted, add the coarse whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour.
- Mix and saute on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or till aromatic and golden.
- The jaggery is melted and the water is heated well. Let the pot be on heat.
- The flour is nicely roasted and turned golden and aromatic. (If using regular whole wheat flour then it will be roasted quickly (6-7 minutes)so keep an eye on it while roasting).
- Gradually add the heated jaggery water. Stir constantly. Be careful as the hot mixture can splutter on you. (I prefer doing this step on low heat).
- Add the entire jaggery water. Mix well and stir the mixture starts to thicken for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Now cover the kadhai with lid and simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Open the lid, stir well, the water is nicely absorbed and the mixture is thickened. The atta gur halwa or sheera is ready to serve. (At this stage you can add cardamom powder if you wish and mix ).
- Remove the halwa in a serving plate and garnish with nuts and serve or if you are offering for to God then put an basil leaf on it.
- Enjoy the Atta Gur Ka Halwa / Ghau Goad No Sheero / Wholewheat Flour Jaggery Sheera warm and serve as prasad. The halwa / sheera can be refrigerated for couple of days and warm in a microwave before serving.