Kodha Nu Rasawalu Shaak / No Onion No Garlic Easy Pumpkin Curry is a very easy and quick to make dish cooked with a tempering made with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. The flavors from curry leaves and seeds combines well with pumpkin and make the dish very tasty and delicious. Made with minimum spices, this gluten free and vegan curry does not use any onions or garlic in it. The curry goes well with chawal (rice ) roti, or wheat roti or puri or bhakri.
I had cooked the curry in a pressure cooker. The pumpkin cooks quickly and hence you can also make this recipe in a regular pan or pot. When cooking it in a pressure cooker be careful to remove the pressure cooker from the heat as soon as the pressure is filled in the cooker and the whistle is about to blow. The pumpkin will become mushy if cooked more than this.
Other recipe on the blog:
Kodha Nu Shaak/Bhopda Chi Bhaji/Kaddu Ki Subji/Pumpkin Curry
Kodhu Pudla (Pumpkin Crepe)
Friends please do try this recipe and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Kodha Nu Rasawalu Shaak / No Onion No Garlic Easy Pumpkin Curry
- pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pan
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cup pumpkin cut into big cube, I had used the butter nut pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp ginger chili paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 10 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oil in pressure cooker pan or a heavy bottom pan. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle , add asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger chili paste. Saute.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the cubed pumpkin, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder and salt.
- Mix well till the spices are coated well. Add water. Mix.
- Put the pressure cooker lid on and cook just till the pressure is filled in the cooker and just about the whistle to blow . (It will take around 7-8 minutes). Do not let the whistle to blow. Immediately remove the pressure cooker from the heat. (SInce the pumpkin does not take the time to cook it will cook immediately.The pumpkin will become mushy so do not let the pressure cooker whistle to blow). If cooking in an open pan, then cover the lid and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or till the pumpkin is cooked. Let the pressure cooker cook by itself and then open the lid. Gently mix the curry.
- Remove in a serving bowl and serve hot with chawal roti, wheat roti or bhakri , puri or paratha.