Dum Mushroom Paneer Biryani is a variety of biryani made with mushrooms and paneer. The cooked long grained rice and gravy made with onion, tomato, spices and vegetables and marinated mushrooms and paneer are assembled in layers in a big thick bottom pan. The vessel is then covered and cooked on a low heat keeping on a pan for 20-30 minutes till the spices are nicely infused with rice. The cover of the biryani is opened and the biryani is served hot in layers with boondi raita or vegetable raita, papad and salad.
Please do try this yummy recipe and enjoy the combination of meaty mushroom and paneer and do not forget to share your valuable feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse..
Dum Mushroom Paneer Biryani
- mixing bowl
- heavy bottom pan or wok
- baking pan or bowl
- Aluminum foil
- hand whisk
- small mixing bowl
- 6 tbsp thick curd / yogurt or put the homemade curd in a cotton cloth . Twist the edges of cloth together and put it in a colander with bowl underneath for 2-3 hours in refrigerator.
- 15 button mushroom washed and halved
- 250 g paneer cottage cheese, cubed
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp biryani masala
- salt to taste
For cooking rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1 cinnamon stick one inch
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp black pepper whole
- 2 cardamom pods elaichi
- 3 cloves laung
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 2 green chili slit
- 3 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 green capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tomato finely chopped or coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 2 tsp biryani masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves washed and chopped or 1 tbsp dry mint powder
- salt to taste
- Take thick curd / yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, biryani powder, and salt.
- Mix well with a hand whisk or spoon. Add chopped mushrooms and paneer cubes.
- Mix gently . Cover with lid and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes to marinade.
- Wash and soak the basmati (long grained rice) for 30 minutes.
- I had cooked rice in two batches as I was making biryani for 8 people. In first batch take around 1.25 cups of rice in the pressure cooker with 3.5 cups of water. Add bayleaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom pod, cloves, oil, and salt. Mix well.
- Put the pressure cooker lid with the whistle on and cook the rice for 3-4 whistles on high heat.
- Immediately take the cooker off the heat after 3-4 whistles and put it under the tap of running cold water to cool down. Remove the whistle and open the lid.
- Drain the rice in a sieve and remove water. Pour cold water over the cooked rice to stop the further process of cooking. Keep it aside on a bowl to remove excess of water. Then spread the grains of cooked rice on a cotton cloth. (The cloth will absorb excess water). Cover the rice with other cloth to prevent from drying.
Making rice , gravy and assembling biryani
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom , whole black pepper.
- Add slit green chilies and chopped green onions. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped red and green capsicum. Add some salt.
- Saute till the capsicum soften. Add ginger garlic paste. Saute.
- Add the coarsely crushed tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes soften and becomes mushy.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, biryani powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix well and saute till the spices are nicely absorbed.
- Add the marinated mushrooms and paneer along with the yogurt mixture.
- Mix well gently.
- Cover and cook the mixture on low to medium heat till the mushrooms soften for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add kasuri methi (crushed between palms), mint powder or fresh mint leaves (around 1/4 cup).
- Mix well and simmer. The oil will float on top. The gravy is ready. Keep aside and use for assembling the biryani.
- Take 1/2 cup luke warm milk . Add 1 tsp saffron strands. Mix well and keep aside.
- Now take a heavy bottom pot or baking pan. Grease it with oil. Add a laddle ful of the prepared gravy with mushrooms and paneer and spread evenly.
- Add 1 cup of the cooked rice and spread well. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of mint powder or leaves, pinch of garam masala and pinch of biryani masala, 2 tbsp of saffron milk and 1 tsp of melted ghee and 1 black cardamom (I had forgor to add black cardamom while making gravy and hence had added it while assembling).
- Pour another laddle ful of gray on top of rice layer and spread well.
- Again add 1 cup of the cooked rice and spread well. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of mint powder or leaves, pinch of garam masala and pinch of biryani masala, 2 tbsp of saffron milk and 1 tsp of melted ghee .
- Similarly put the third layer of gray on top of rice and spread well.
- Again add 1 cup of the cooked rice and spread well. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of mint powder or leaves, pinch of garam masala and pinch of biryani masala, 2 tbsp of saffron milk and 1 tsp of melted ghee . Keep of making layers according to size of the pot or pan. Now cover the pot or pan with aluminum foil and bake at 200 C for 20 minutes or put it on a flat pan on low heat for 20-25 minutes. This process is called giving dum to the biryani. The spices and flavors are nicely infused into the rice with help of giving dum to the biryani.
- Serve the biryani hot with papad, boondi raita or yogurt and cucumber slices and enjoy.