Mushroom Spinach Carrot Leek Risotto is a vegetarian variation of the popular Italian risotto. Arborio rice is cooked slowly with carrot, mushroom, leek and garlic . Vegetable stock is added in parts in the rice and vegetable mixture and cooked till creamy stirring in between. Spinach is added at the end with the seasonings. This gluten free Mushroom spinach carrot leek risotto is a complete one pot meal for the entire family and is nutritious and quick and easy to make for a quick week night dinner.
Risotto is cooked with butter, white wine, cheese. I have not used this all and tried to make the healthy version of risotto. The risotto is full of flavors with mushrooms, leek and vegetables and has become comfort food of my family.
Friends do try this healthy, quick and easy dish and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Mushroom Spinach Carrot Leek Risotto
- heavy bottom pan with lid
- 1.5 cup Arborio rice
- 4.5 cup vegetable stock it should be hot . If you do not have stock then add hot water . Add some extra salt and garlic to get the flavor.
- 5 garlic finely chopped
- 2 cup spinach washed and chopped
- 2.5 tbsp virgin olive oil or regular cooking olive oil or any flavorless oil
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 4 spring onion both white and green, finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 12 mushroom sliced, I had used the white button mushroom. You can use mushroom of your choice.
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley or 1 cup fresh parsley washed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese grated, to garnish.
- salt to taste
- Put virgin olive oil and garlic to heat in a pan. (the slow heating of the garlic in the oil this way will infuse the flavor of garlic in the oil). If you do not have virgin olive oil then use regular cooking olive oil or any flavorless oil.
- Add leek and spring onions white and little salt and saute till everything is translucent around 3-4 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add some half spring onions greens and mix well.
- Add the arborio rice. (No need to wash or soak the rice).
- Mix well and saute the rice for 3-4 minutes till it gets brown slightly. Add one cup of vegetable stock and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat till rice has absorbed most of the liquid. Make sure you stir the rice frequently in between to prevent sticking from the bottom of the pan.
- After the water is absorbed again add one cup of vegetable stock. Cover and cook on medium heat till all the stock is absorbed well.
- Stock is absorbed well. The rice is getting thicker.
- Add one more cup of stock and cover and cook till the liquid is absorbed stirring in between.
- After the liquid is absorbed, add remaining stock and salt and cover and cook similarly as above.
- Once the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked as per your liking, add the chopped spinach and remaining spring onions green. (If using fresh parsley then add now). If you want you can add 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese at this stage. I have not added and just used for garnishing the rice. Stir and cook well till the spinach shrinks.
- Season with black pepper, mixed herbs, dried parsley (if not using fresh parsley), chili flakes.
- Mix well. The risotto is ready to serve.
- Serve immediately the mushroom spinach carrot leek risotto in the plate and garnish with grated parmesan cheese, spring onion green and black pepper and enjoy!!. Leftover risotto can be refrigerated in an airtight container and re heated in microwave before serving again .