Mix Flour Chilla / Pancake is a healthy, savory, glutenfree, vegan pancake made with the batter using different flour, vegetables and spices. The batter is poured on hot greased pan and cooked on both sides till golden and crisp. It is perfect hot snack for breakfast , brunch or afternoon or evening snack with tea or coffee. It is served with chutney or ketchup of choice.
Some similar recipe on the blog:
Kodhu Pudla (Pumpkin Crepe)
Please do try the recipe and share your reviews with me..
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Mix Flour Chilla / Pancake
- mixing bowl
- hand whisk
- measuring bowl
- non stick pan
- 1/4 cup chick pea flour besan
- 1/4 cup rice flour chawal ka atta
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour jowar ka atta
- 1/8 cup semolina sooji , coarse around 1 heaped tbsp
- 2 tbsp capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 3/4 cup water and 1/4th cup extra if needed to adjust the consistency of batter. It should be cake batter consistency.
- 1/4 tsp fruit salt eno
- salt to taste
- oil needed to cook the chilla (around 1 tsp for each chilla)
- Take chick pea flour, rice flour, sorghum flour, semolina in a mixing bowl.
- Add spices – carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, asafoetida, salt.
- Mix well with a spoon or hand whisk.
- Now gradually add water and stir everything well with spoon or hand whisk making sure that there are no lumps.
- Add all the water and mix well to make a lump free batter. (The batter should have the consistency like cake batter).
- Add chopped capsicum, onion, tomato, coriander.
- Mix well.
- Now keep the pan to heat on medium heat. Apply oil over it once the pan is heated.
- Now add the eno to the batter. Pour a tsp of batter over eno to activate it. The bubbles will rise as soon as water is added to eno.
- Mix everything well. The batter will become light and frothy.
- Take a laddle full of batter and pour on the heated greased pan. I had made chilla on 20 cm diameter pan.
- Bubbles will start to form after half minute. Spread oil on the sides and in the bubbles.
- With the help of spatula flip the chilla after a minute. Let it cook on another side for couple of minutes. (To make chilla crispier spread some more oil on the edges of the chilla at this stage).
- Flip again and cook for a minute more flipping in between.
- Remove the mix flour chilla / pancake in the serving plate and serve it with chutney or ketchup. Similarly make remaining chilla.
- I had served mix flour chilla / pancake with ketchup and lemongrass mint ginger chai for breakfast. You can also serve chila as hot after noon snack or after school snack to kids.