Spaghetti Aglio E Olio With Vegetables is a variation to the traditional Italian pasta dish from Naples by adding vegetables such as bell peppers, fresh parsley and mushrooms. The important key to make spaghetti aglio e olio is to toss the garlic slowly in the virgin olive oil till golden. If the garlic is under cooked it will not release the flavor needed and if it becomes dark then it would give bitter or burnt taste. The spaghetti aglio e oilo is a quick and easy way to fulfill your tummies for a weeknight dinner. It tastes equally good if it is cold and hence a good option to pack for kids lunchboxes or carry for the picnic.
This is my son (Aarav’s) favorite lunch box dish. Traditionally the pasta does not have any veggies. To make it more nutritious, I prefer adding bell peppers and mushrooms to the dish. Adding fresh parsley makes the spaghetti more flavorful. You can add dried parsley and mixed herbs if not using fresh parsley.
Always use good quality of extra virgin olive oil to make the spaghetti aglio e olio. Aglio e Olio means olive oil and garlic in Italian. The spaghetti can be served by sprinkling some grated or shaved Parmesan cheese on it.
Friends do try this very easy and quick recipe and please do share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Spaghetti Aglio E Olio With Vegetables
- 500 g spaghetti cooked till aldente
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil always use extra virgin olive oil
- 8 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow capsicum finely chopped
- 8 mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup parsley washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup water water left from the strained pasta.
- Put to heat olive oil and chopped garlic together in a pan on medium heat. (The flavor of garlic will be nicely infused when you start heating it with the cold oil)
- After 4-5 minutes the garlic will start to brown.
- Add the chopped red, yellow and green bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Saute till they soften. Add chili flakes. Mix well. (You can add chili flakes with garlic in the first step too).
- Saute for half minute.
- Add the cooked spaghetti. Toss well.
- Add the chopped parsley and water left after straining the pasta. This helps to retain the moisture in the spaghetti and does not make it dry.
- Mix well. Add black pepper powder and salt.
- Mix well till all the vegetables and parsley are coated well with the spaghetti.
- The spaghetti aglio e olio is ready to serve. You can enjoy the spaghetti even it it is cold and hence is perfect to pack for lunch box and picnic. You can sprinkle shaved or grated parmesan cheese while serving.