Paneer Cheese Ghotala is a vegetarian version of the popular Surati (Surat in Gujarat, India) style street food made with eggs. Here the grated paneer is cooked in the onions, tomatoes, garlic, green chili, and spices with butter and cheese . Butter and cheese adds taste and richness to the dish. This gluten free dish can be served hot with paratha, roti or bread or pav. The name ghotala – since different styles of cooked eggs -( boiled, scrambled and half fry), are used to cook. The street food version uses a big flat pan to cook the dish known as tava -the one commonly used to cook pav bhaji. We are using paneer and cheese to make the ghotala. The dish is buttery, cheesy and very tasty and enhances the tastes of the spiced scrambled paneer.
I had used regular garlic but use fresh green garlic if possible. Fresh garlic has good aroma and gives and good flavor to the dish. If you do not have pav bhaji masala just add the normal garam masala.
I had served paneer cheese ghotala with mint missi roti.
Friends do make this recipe for your loved ones and I am sure they will enjoy it. Do not forget to share your reviews with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Paneer Cheese Ghotala
- chopper or knife or grater
- heavy bottom flat pan with lid
- 600 g paneer grated, cottage cheese. Keep some aside for garnishing.
- 2 onion
- 2 green chili or as per spice level needed
- 5 garlic If you have fresh green garlic use it . Use white of garlic for grinding and green leaves at the end along with coriander. It will enhance the taste and aroma of the dish.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter or more if you prefer
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic green chili paste
- 1 green capsicum finely chopped
- 6 tomato crushed
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per spice level needed
- 4 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp kasuri methi dry fenugreek leaves
- 3 cheese slices or 1/4 cup cheddar grated, or 2 amul cheese cubes . I had used low fat cheese slices. Cut few strips of cheese slices and keep aside for garnishing.
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and finely chopped. keep few leaves aside for garnishing.
- 2 cup water
- salt to taste
- In a chopper or pull string chopper add onions, garlic and green chili and finely chop them.
- Remove the chopped onion mixture in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 tbsp butter.
- Add cumin seeds and let they crackle. Add ginger garlic chili paste.
- Saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Add the finely chopped onion green chili. (You can skip green chili if you want less spicy)
- Saute till the onions become translucent and soft.
- Add the crushed tomatoes. (I had crushed them in chopper. So they are coarsely crushed and not smooth). Mix well and cover and cook on medium to high heat till the water from tomatoes in dried). It will take around 7-8 minutes.
- Add chopped capsicum. Mix well and cook till capsicum softens.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, pav bhaji masala. Saute everything well. Add little water if the mixture is dried and spices are getting burnt.
- Take kasuri methi and crush between palms and add. Mix well .
- Add grated paneer and salt .
- Mix well.
- Add water and cheese. (I had used low fat cheese slices). Mix well till cheese is melted.
- Add butter.
- Cover and simmer on low to medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes. The oil will start to float on top.
- Add garam masala. Mix well.
- Add coriander.
- Mix well . Paneer cheese ghotala is ready to serve.
- Remove the paneer cheese ghotala in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander or green garlic leaves, grated paneer, and strips cheese slices. Serve it hot with paratha, missi roti, pav, bread and salad and enjoy!!
- I had served paneer cheese ghotala with mint missi roti and sliced onions and cucumber for a complete dinner.
1 thought on “Paneer Cheese Ghotala”