Tofu Avocado Veg Sushi a vegetarian variation of Sushi – a popular dish of Japanese cuisine. It is made by wrapping the vinegared rice, strips of avocado, spinach, carrot strips, marinated tofu strips tightly in the Nori sheet. It is cut into small pieces and served with dipping soya sauce and pickled ginger. It is enjoyed cold and and is perfect to be packed for a healthy lunch box. It can be a good appetiser for party or can be made and packed for the picnics or potluck. It is vegan and gluten free.
I had marinated tofu at home . For that I had used sesame oil, soy sauce, honey and chili sauce. Then I had pan fried the marinated tofu on a non stick pan till golden on both sides. Now a days you get easily flavored tofu in the store. You can use the Japanese flavored tofu.
I had shared the recipe of Avocado Sushi earlier on the blog.
Friends please do make the recipe and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse..
Tofu Avocado Veg Sushi
- non stick pan
- Heavy bottom pot with lid
- big flat plate
- bamboo mat
- sharp knife
- small bowl
Marinate and cook Tofu
Marinate and cook Tofu
- In a bowl take soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, chilli sauce. Mix well.
- Add the sliced firm tofu.
- Mix gently and well so that the the tofu is coated well with sauces. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes. (For best flavors marinate overnight if possible).
- Heat a non stick pan on medium heat. Put the marinated tofu and cook till golden on both sides and the sauce is evaporated and coated well. Pour some marination tool The sauce will be evaporated and honey will caramalised with the help of sesame oil in it.
- Flip and cook till golden. Remove in a plate. If some sauce is still in the pan, remove and spread on the tofu.
- Take sushi rice. It is a short grained rice.
- Put rice and water in a pot on high heat.
- Let the water boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, lower the heat, stir the rice, cover the pot with lid and cook the rice for 20 minutes on low heat. Do not open the lid in between.
- After 20 minutes, the water will be absorbed and rice is cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Remove the rice in a wide dish. Add 6 tbsp of sushi seasoning to it and mix well. (I have used store brought obento brand Sushi seasoning. It is a mix of rice vinegar, salt and sugar).
- The vinegared rice is ready. Keep aside the rice to cool. (The rice should be cooled before making sushi).
- The Avocado sliced and ready.
- Tofu and avocado sliced ready.
- Place the nori sheet with the glaze side facing down on one edge of the bamboo mat as shown. (this mat is specially made to roll sushi).
- Take one cup of water and put 1 tbsp of sushi seasoning in it. Dip your palms in it. This will help to prevent rice from sticking in the hands.
- Now put a almost 1/2 cup of cooked sushi rice on the cut nori sheet. Spread it evenly on the sheet. Leave around 2 cm space on the top of the nori sheet as shown.
- Place baby spinach leaves in a line as shown. (you can alsi put mixed salad leaves or lettuce).
- Then place sliced avocado and carrot strips. (You can put veggies such as cucumber, radish, beetroot cut into strips of your choice).
- Put the marinated and cooked tofu strips on it as shown.
- Now lift the end of the mat closest to you and begin to roll the sheet tightly. It should come at the end of the other end of the nori sheet leaving the 2 cm gap as shown. Press the roll the tightly so that the edge of the nori sheet is tight.
- Open the mat and roll the remaining roll. And roll and join the other end of the nori sheet. (You can also brush the other end of the nori sheet with water to help it sticking better to the roll).
- Now again with the help of the mat press the roll tightly so that it is nicely stuck and becomes a tight roll.
- Take the prepared roll on a cutting board.
- Now cut the uneven end of the roll and cut into half with a sharp knife dipped in the water sushi seasoning solution. This helps to prevent knife sticking to the the sushi while cutting into pieces.
- Cut each halves into 3-4 small pieces.
- Arrange the cut sushi pieces into a plate and sprinkle some black sesame seeds on it. Serve the avocado sushi with the sushi dipping sauce.
- You can also cut the nori sheet into half and then make small bite size sushi from it as shown. I have shared the recipe of bite size Avocado sushi made with half nori sheet.